Tuesday, August 26, 2014

College Life

My freshmen experience so far has been bitter sweet. Since this is my first time living away from home, that is expected. When I first arrived on campus I was excited but at the same time fighting back tears. I had left my home I had come to tolerate and my friends whom I’ve come to love. I cried at the Chili’s before I got to campus because my mom asked if I was okay. Obviously I wasn’t.
I pulled up to the curb of Kincannon and we were immediately helped. A group unpacked my things and carried them up the stairs while I got my room key. Then my parents went to go park the car and I carried my box of yarn up the stairs to my new room. I climbed up to the second floor, then the third, then the fourth. I was seeing stars when I finally reached the fifth floor. Hopefully this won’t become a regular thing, I thought to myself. But I’ll get to that later.
I unpacked everything, met my roommate for the first time, and went to Walmart to get a few extra things. When we got back, my dad kept egging my mom to leave. You see, my older brother had returned from an eight week study abroad the Friday before move in day, and then left for school the upcoming Monday, so my dad wanted to spend time with him before he left. So that’s what my parents did. They said goodbye and were gone, leaving me in my new room. I was terrified.
Then, I met my suitemate, Carol Ann. And we became fast friends. We began going to nearly all the campus events together and met more people, like my dorm neighbors on the other side of me, JennyAnn and Rachel. Then Carol Ann’s roommate, Kyley came along and we befriended her. Suddenly I didn’t feel as scared as I did. It felt so good to know people on campus, because no one from my graduating class came to the school. In the first week I did the ice bucket challenge, the wobble, and had a late night talk at the gazebo.
But of course not all things were good. Kincannon’s elevators broke. We were stuck taking the stairs for a few days. Now I know that sounds bad, but when you live on the top floor and you just got done at the gym and it’s a million degrees outside, it’s not a very pleasant place to be. None the less, they were fixed by the weekend and haven’t shut down since. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I guess I should touch on the classes I went to as well, seeing as that’s the reason I’m in college. They were fine, nothing too terrifying just yet. I’m looking forward for the semester to progress and see what this place has in store for me. The events I’m looking forward to are Recruitment week, Bid Day, and Fried chicken Tuesdays. Not because of the fried chicken, but for the macaroni and cheese. That stuff is the bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment