Tuesday, June 17, 2014

It Has Begun


I have made a very small dent in my college shopping list and let me tell you I am beyond excited! And I even learned a thing or two about living in a dorm from both my mom and older brother, like if you have the opportunity to sticky note someone's car you should totally do it. You can guess my brother said that, not mom.
Preparing to leave home is so nerve-racking though. I think I'm forgetting something at all times of the day. Like I woke up today and realized I didn't put a drying rack on my shopping list. Not a big deal now, but still. I find it extremely helpful to take inventory. Google Drive has a spreadsheet option and I use that. For my shopping list, I sectioned off columns for things like school supplies, cleaning utensils, dorm room appliances, and so forth. Then, on  a separate spreadsheet, I have my packing checklist. Every time a new purchase is made, I enter the item in a column of the proper category. For instance, The drying rack that I mentioned earlier is listed in the dorm room column of my packing list. And I don't just categorize purchases. Books and movies the I already own and plan to take with me have a special place on my list. I mean I cant leave home without my well worn copy of my favorite book!!
 

 
Poor little guy, I hope he makes it through college with me. Anyways, I hope my tips were helpful and encourage anyone going away to school, moving, or going on  a long trip to use a spreadsheet as a double checklist and inventory sheet. It really takes a load off!

No comments:

Post a Comment