Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Best Kind of Marathons

So my favorite show (produced by Netflix) is Orange is the New Black. Being a sheltered child living in a gated community almost my whole life, it was a real eye opener to how some people are. The show is so well written I love all the characters. Well, I either love them or love to hate hate them. It's a great show because for the longest time television and movies didn't write women well. They were either prissy and dumb or tough and unfeeling. Here, every character is three dimensional. Each episode looks into a different inmates past and tells the story of what lead them to prison. Sometimes we see a kid get sucked into the life of drug dealing, other times we see a mother commit fraud to provide for her family. Others reasons for some inmates being in jail aren't that well justified, but they are still very interesting. Also, every character has shown every emotion. The comic reliefs cry, and the tough ones in with life sentences have light- hearted moments, which is something you see very rarely in the prison genre. As much as the focus is on the inmates lives, but it also shows the inner workings of the prison as well. Many of the prison guards and administration are given plot lines and conflicts. Not just that but interesting ones too! I mean, a prison counselor who has a mail order bride, that's really clever. 
Not only does it tell the tales of inside the prison walls, but also the outside. Mostly it just covers Pipers fiancée dealing with the fact that she's in prison, but it does it very well. He struggles, and has doubts at times. The easy thing to do would to just make him super boyfriend and fiercely stand by her at every twist and turn, but they don't. I'm trying not to give anything away if you haven't seen it, so sorry for being so vague. This is probably the most interesting show I've ever watched because it attacks every angle without a flaw. It's so perfect when my netflix account stopped working I made my boyfriend give me the password to his so I could watch the new season. It keeps me on the edge of my seat and always pressing the "next episode" button so I suggest you do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment